Wednesday, July 16, 2008

WALL•E (4½ Stars)

In the year 2800, Earth is a desolate wasteland, completely incapable of sustaining life. Even the robots have broken down and died, with the exception of one lone garbage compacting robot named WALL•E. When a reconnaissance ship drops off an exotic robot with a mysterious directive, WALL•E is drawn into a strange intergalactic setting where the fate and future of the entire world lie in his robot hands.

This is a very cute story with a rather poignant and heavy-handed ecological message. The fate of humans in this particular dystopic depiction is bleak, and frankly, a little disgusting, turning us all into lazy endomorphs who can’t even get up off the ground, and never look away from our computer screens. Somehow, they still manage to make all the human characters cute and charming. The story is a little tragic, but beautiful, and quite funny in parts. The visuals, music and voice are fantastic. 4½ stars

1 comment:

Inkpot said...

Just saw this movie at the weekend. I found it very sad but very sweet, as you say. If I had seen this as a kid I think I would have been crying my eyes out. It was the first time in a long time I've been to the cinema when it was mostly filled with children and I kept on hearing sad voices say 'What's happened to WallE?' Good return to form by Pixar. Good review too, Mal :)