Sunday, July 20, 2008

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (4 Stars)

When Peter Brettel’s TV superstar girlfriend, Sarah Marshall, dumps him, all he can do is obsess, so he decides he needs a vacation. Unfortunately, due to his lack of imagination, he chooses to go the resort she had always talked about, and lo and behold, there she is, with her new rock star boyfriend.

The film is hilarious, and comes complete with an adorable subplot involving the main character’s pet project – a musical puppet show involving Dracula and Van Helsing.

I think this is one of the tightest romantic comedies of the year, and what I personally admire about this film is that even though, structurally speaking, Sarah Marshall is the antagonist, there are no real villains in the film. In a very touching speech by Sarah Marshall during the film (which she performed brilliantly), we see that he is own antagonist, as is she hers. This speech, which I won’t get into, because I think you should all see the film, struck a chord with me. All the characters in this film, much like most of us in life, are all prisoners to trappings which are largely our own. I liked that. I liked that the film didn’t villainize her, even though, and again, I won’t get into it, she does some really horrible shit to our hero.

I know, I know, I keep giving out 4 stars to movies, and this is just a romantic comedy, but I think it’s the best damn romantic comedy of the year, because though its marketed as a comedy, it functions at more levels than that. Honestly, it’s worth seeing for the cute little puppet show alone.

No comments: