Monday, July 21, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (4 Stars)

The KGB are after a crystal skull which seems to grant psychic abilities to its user. Indiana Jones is in a race against them for the skull before they can use it to control the world, in an adventure that will take him to the lost city of El Dorado and reunite him with his long lost, but greatest love, Marion Ravenwood, and it seems she has a little surprise for him.

It’s about friggin’ time they made another Indiana Jones movie! Why did George Lucas wait this long? Look at what has become of our beloved archeological hero! He’s practically a fossil now himself!

Actually, I quite like the idea of giving Indiana Jones an adventure much later in life, and frankly, I think this was the old-timer’s most action packed adventure yet, complete with Indy being the sole survivor of a nuclear blast! How cool is that? Though, for an educated man, I’m disgusted that he says “nukular.” Come on, Indy! You’re a PhD, for Mayan’s sake, and you can’t say nuclear!

There’s still time, George! There’s still time! Please make another Indiana Jones movie! Please, please, please!

As excited as I am about this long-awaited epic, realistically, I don’t think I can give it higher than a 4. It’s maybe as good as its predecessors, maybe a little better. The action is top-notch, and the banter between the main characters is a combination of sweet and humorous.

3 comments:

Inkpot said...

I was dying to see this movie but after hearing very bad reports about it from my friends I struck it off my video list. Perhaps I should give it a chance?

Malice Blackheart said...

You should definitely give it a chance, particularly if you liked the other movies.

I was talking about this with Ema the other day... I think a large part of what people don't like about the movie is that it didn't live up to their impossible expectations. They think they're going to feel like a kid again, which they actually were when they saw the previous one.

I keep telling people, YOU are responsible feeling like a kid again, not the movie. It's just responsible for being a movie, and in this case, Lucas and his team did a fine job. I think people just like to scapegoat others for their own disappointment.

Inkpot said...

Very true. I think people have too great expectations that no movie could live up to and are disappointed. I love the originals but maybe if I think of it as a stand alone movie and not connect them I will be able to judge the movie for its own merit.