Sunday, March 16, 2008

War, AKA Rogue Assassin (1½ stars)

An FBI man, (Jason Statham), seeks revenge against the assassin that killed his partner, (Jet Li).

I wasn’t expecting much when I saw this film, which I saw mainly because I’m a Jason Statham fan, and a degree of respect for Jet Li’s martial arts abilities too. The film managed to offend even what little expectations I had. There wasn't nearly enough action; instead they flooded the movie with plot. This is fine when you have an interesting plot, but when you have a stupid plot that makes no sense, you’re just making your audience gag. The dialogue is terrible, and the plot is a combination of derived trash, and nonsensical plot twists.

And, as much as I hate to spoil the ending of a movie, in this case it really shouldn’t matter. It turns out the hero is actually the villain, and the villain is actually the hero. When you do that at the end of your movie, you completely alienate your audience, leaving them hating you, and not caring about your stupid movie and the ending you thought was clever, but was actually just plain mean.

1½ stars

No comments: