Monday, March 17, 2008

Run Fatboy Run (4 stars)


An overweight, out-of-shape security guard vows to compete in an upcoming charity run across London. He’s been running all his life from commitment, leaving the pregnant mother of his child at the altar. Now it’s time to prove he can run in the right direction.

With every film I see him in, I’m becoming more and more of a Simon Pegg fan. His portrayal of Dennis (the lead) is brilliant. Hank Azaria and Dylan Moran are also brilliant.

This is very much an underdog story, with plenty of slapstick comedy and embarrassing moments.

What I like so much about this film is that though it is structurally a comedy, (and frankly, the turnaround of Whit in act 3 comes as a bit of a deus ex machina), it holds very close to its theme, and treats it with the seriousness it deserves.

4 stars

1 comment:

Inkpot said...

I was very disappointed in this movie and, going by your rating system, would only give it 3 1/2 stars tops. As you say, Simon Pegg Dylan Moran and Hank Azaria were brilliant but I felt it couldn't make up its mind between being a comedy or a drama (it went from almost slapstick comedy e.g a pus filled blister exploding in Dylan's face, to much more realistic territory e.g the ending) and I found that the mixture jarred (whereas in other movies they incorperate elements of both convincingly). I also found, with the exception of Dennis, the characters were very flat and one dimensional. Yes, I laughed a lot at Dylan and Hank, but I couldn't fathom the motivation for why either of them would do what they did. I also found the direction very flat and boring and the scenes were edited together with lack of flare. As for Thandie Newton's character - well, suffice to say I thought they could have done a lot more with her.